Due to the strong national economy, all business sectors in the UAE become more successful as time passes. Among the biggest ones, you can find the media and entertainment sector. Opening a media company here can bring you many benefits, especially if you get approval from the National Media Council.
In this article, you will learn everything you should know about this necessary approval to operate a media business. Most importantly, you will learn about the requirements to obtain this approval and the process you need to complete. Besides, here you will also discover relevant facts about this element. Let’s observe:
- What is the media and entertainment sector in the UAE?
- Why should you set up a media-related business in this country?
- How many business locations are available to establish a media company?
- What is the National Media Council in the UAE?
- Why do you need approval from the National Media Council to open a media company?
- Learn how to complete the process to obtain the Media Council approval.
- How much do the publication types’ fees cost in the UAE?
- How can Connectfz help you set up your media company in a UAE free zone?
1. What is the media and entertainment sector in the UAE?
Since the UAE has a solid economy, all types of sectors and industries have grown exponentially during the last decades. However, when we talk about the media sector, this country has the necessary resources to make it more successful. Whether you choose filming, writing, publication, or any other kind of media-related activity, you can develop your business here.
Besides, this country receives many new investors every year, who end up establishing and operating their media companies here. Most of those companies usually launch new publications, including magazines, newspapers, and many other similar products. Any of these ideas can be a profitable business for you since most part of the population reads weekly magazines/newspapers.
Currently, you can find more than 500 magazines in circulation in the UAE, which is probably more than newspapers. And this is the main reason why this type of publication is among the top publisher in the nation. However, you can also choose between other types of media-related business activities, like the following ones:
- Advertising and communication.
- Marketing services.
- Media services.
- Marketing consultancy.
- Media associations.
- Event management and support.
- Media consultancy.
- Business information.
Although you can find many more activities, these will depend on the location you choose to set up your business. Also, you can apply for any business license you require to manage your business. For example, some of the licenses you find and obtain are the following ones:
- Publishing license.
- Media and marketing services license.
- Music and entertainment license.
- Web design license.
- News agency license.
- Film distribution or management license.
- TV or radio broadcasting license.
Here you can learn about the business licenses you can apply for in the emirate of Abu Dhabi.
2. Why should you set up a media-related business in this country?
The UAE is also very popular among local and foreign investors due to the advantages it offers to them. For example, their media companies can have access to many consumers across the country regardless of their business locations. Besides, they can choose the location that suits them better as long as they can afford it.
If you choose to set up in a free zone, you will be able to obtain the following benefits:
- Total exemption from persona and corporate taxes.
- Full exemption from import duties.
- 100 percent of foreign ownership.
- Full repatriation of profits and capital.
- Access to world-class infrastructure.
- All investors can have multiple visa options.
- Excellent networking opportunities.
- Access to high-qualified workers.
- Access to corporate bank account facility.
- Great opportunities for startups, freelancers, or established media businesses.
Depending on the free zone you select to set up your company, you can have other advantages. Therefore, it is important to evaluate all available options before selecting your ideal business location in the UAE.
Here you can learn about the best free zone business licenses available in Dubai and a brief comparison between them.
3. How many business locations are available to establish a media company?
In the UAE, you will be able to choose between different locations to set up a media company. The most popular options are free zones, and you can select any of the 45 available free zones. Although most of them allow different kinds of business activities, some others are dedicated to the media industry only.
For example, some free zones that dedicate their services to the media sector are the following ones:
- Dubai Media City.
- Sharjah Media City Free Zone.
- Ajman Media City Free Zone.
- TwoFour54 in Abu Dhabi.
- Dubai Production City.
- Dubai Studio City.
- Fujairah Creative City.
- Ras Al Khaimah Media City Free Zone.
However, make sure to select a location that meets your business requirements properly. Besides, you should also find information about the Media Council during the setup process in your chosen location. Keep reading this article to learn more about this entity and the reason why it is important.
Here you can learn about the Ajman Media City Free Zone (AMCFZ) and the allowed types of company formation.
4. What is the National Media Council in the UAE?
Firstly, you must know that the Media Council is a federation institution that has been working since 2006. Its main purpose is to provide services to promote and support all activities related to the media sector. Besides, the NMC also regulates this sector by ensuring a healthy environment for all media companies in the country.
On the other hand, the National Media Council ensures that all administration services contain high quality, transparency, and efficiency. Moreover, it ensures that all media-related businesses comply with Federal Law No. 15 of 1980 Concerning Press and Publications. Therefore, it is essential to know better about this federation and the reason why your media company needs its approval.
In addition, you should also learn about the process to obtain the Media Council approval. Also, here you will discover what the requirements to get this approval are, among many other relevant details. Now, let’s see the reason why this requirement is essential to operate a media-related business in the UAE.
Here you can learn about a webinar about IPO and listing opportunities for free zones companies in the UAE.
5. Why do you need approval from the National Media Council to open a media company?
As we mentioned before, the National Media Council Dubai is an entity that regulates the media sector. And it can be found not only in Dubai but also in the other emirates and their business locations. Since its main goal is regulation, it’s mandatory to get approval from this authority before opening a media company.
Besides, it makes sure that all companies meet the requirements of the law that we mentioned before. This law states that it is forbidden the publication of some types of material in the country. Moreover, it states that the publication’s owner, the person in charge, and the chief editor must have valid residency visas.
It is worth mentioning that if the company owner fails to comply with the law, there will be consequences. For example, there will be a fine of up to AED 5,000 as a penalty. And, in the worst scenario, even a prison sentence can be used as a penalty too. To summarize, you have to obtain this approval to avoid these or more penalties.
Here you can learn about important things you should know about the business setup process in Umm Al Quwain.
6. Learn how to complete the process to obtain the Media Council approval.
As we said before, obtaining the Media Council approval is an essential part of the company setup process. However, you must complete a certain process to get this important requirement to operate your business. So, let’s take a look at the steps you should follow in order to complete this process.
6.1. Pre-requisites to obtain approval from the NMC.
Before getting started, you need to cover essential pre-requisites, which are the following ones:
- You must be 25 years old at least.
- Your reputation must be good, which means you must not have served a prison sentence.
- When applying for a trade license, make sure it specifies the activity “publishing”. In case your license does not specify this activity, you’ll need to notify the pertinent authorities. After notifying it, you have to request a change.
- And as we previously mentioned, the company owner must have a valid UAE residency visa. This requirement also applies to the person in charge and the chief editor of the magazine.
- The only companies that are eligible for an NMC permit are visa package companies with a company immigration card.
6.2. Choose a free zone to set up your company.
After covering the essentials, the next step will be choosing a business location. You are free to select any free zone or mainland. If you choose to establish in a free zone, try to select any of the media-related ones.
6.3. Request a letter from your chosen free zone to the NMC.
This letter will confirm you have established your offices on their premises. Also, you must provide a copy of your trade license, the NMC application form, and the declaration for publication activity.
6.4. Make sure to provide all details about the magazine.
Provide a brief profile of the magazine that includes a description of the things you publish. Also, include your target audience, theme of the publication, language, among other details. Moreover, you must provide details about the publisher and key staff.
6.5. Provide the necessary paperwork and information about your contacts.
Share a website address for your magazine and the contact numbers of all owners and the person in charge. Along with your application, you must include the licensing requirements and licensee obligations, which should be signed by the person in charge.
6.6. Pay the required fees.
And lastly, you have to pay the required fees for your type of publication. You can see the approximate fees below.
7. How much do the publication types’ fees cost in the UAE?
Depending on the type of publication you choose, you’ll have to pay these fees in AED:
- Weekly magazine: 25,000.
- Weekly newspaper: 35,000.
- Daily newspaper: 100,000.
- Bimonthly magazine: 15,000.
- Monthly magazine: 10,000.
- Quarterly magazine: 3,000.
- Annual magazine: 1,000.
- Electronic newspaper/journal: 15,000.
Here you can learn about the decision of the UAE government regarding the reduction of all tax penalties.
8. How can Connectfz help you set up your media company in a UAE free zone?
Building your business in this country can be a lot easier if you work with a business setup partner. Connectfz can provide you with the support services you require to set up your company in a free zone. Besides, our team can also advise you with the tips you need to make your business more successful.
With our help, you will be able to also choose among the available free zones in the UAE. Moreover, we would recommend you the one that suits your company better, so you can have a profitable business. Also, you can choose the packages you need to obtain a license, visa, facilities, and more vital elements.
Once you have obtained approval from the Media Council and everything else you need, you may start your operations. Nonetheless, keep in mind that you can make improvements with our other services, which will make your company more efficient. Among our services, you can find recruitment, payroll, visa services, and many more.
Would you like to contact Connectfz to obtain more information about the approval from the Media Council and other relevant information? If you have any questions, call us on +97143316688. You can email us at email@example.com, and you will talk to one of our representatives who will answer your questions.